What is Trimethyl Sulphonium Iodide?
This is a type of chemical which is employed as a methylene-transfer reagent in synthetic chemistry. To produce cyclopropyl esters, it also interacts with alfa,beta-unsaturated esters.
Trimethylsulphonium Iodide Properties:
- IUPAC Name: trimethylsulfanium;iodide
- Molecular Formula: C3H9IS
- Formula Weight : 220.07
- Melting Point: 170 degrees Celsius
- CAS No: 2181-42-2
- Physical Description: Colorless crystalline solid
Features of Trimethyl Sulphonium Iodide:
- Easily dissolved in water.
- This compound is soluble in THF.
- Light Sensitive Storage & Sensitivity
Trimethylsulphonium Iodide Uses:
To create dimethyloxosulfonium methylide, this compound interacts with sodium hydride. It's employed to make ylide, which, when combined with carbonyl chemicals, produces epoxides.
- Strong bases and oxidizers are incompatible with it.
- This compound is delicate to light.