What is Tetra Methyl Ammonium Bromide?
This compound is the bromide salt of bromide. It is a quaternary ammonium salt and a bromide salt.
Tetramethylammonium Bromide Properties:
- Molecular Formula: C4H12BrN
- Synonyms: Tetramethylammoniumbromide
- Molecular Weight: 154.05
- IUPAC Name: tetramethylazanium;bromide
- CAS No: 64-20-0
- Physical Description: White odorless crystalline powder; Hygroscopic
Features of Tetra Methyl Ammonium Bromide:
- This provided chemical is easily soluble in chloroform, alcohol, and water.
- It serves as both an active component in conditioners and a surface-active agent. Additionally, it is utilised as a softener for paper and textile items.
Tetramethylammonium Bromide Applications/Uses:
Additionally, it is crucial as a catalyst for phase transfers in synthetic chemistry. Also, it is used as a sanitizer, antimicrobial, antistatic, and disinfectant. It is a quaternary ammonium molecule that is frequently employed as a catalyst for phase transitions.
- This compound is incompatible with strong bases and oxidising agents.
- Causes somnolence and tremor in oral lethal-dose studies of rats
- A skin and strong eye irritant
- Highly toxic by ingestion